Tuesday, January 19, 2010

laundry, hail, and 40s.

I decided to do my (massive amounts of) laundry today... which would have been fine, had it not been raining cats and dogs. When I lugged it all into the laundry room, I met a very interesting woman.  I'm not sure if she's homeless or living in the creepy basement that's right below my apartment, but either way she was pretty dirty and definitely not in her right mind, not to mention practically toothless. She started talking to me (albeit I didn't understand anything she said) and as she gesticulated I noticed she was drinking a 40 of beer. At 10:30 am.

Oh, Berkeley.

My classes this semester look to be good though- one is a 10-person seminar, and having to do a research paper for that--on top of my thesis-- is going to suck, but the professor is having us to his house for dinner one night and also wants us to try to publish our papers!  The other class is a huuuge lecture on the cultural history of Broadway, essentially.  It mostly covers the early shows (we'll be seeing South Pacific, West Side Story, etc.), but it should be nice to get my musical theatre fix in on a weekly basis.

Tonight, I bought books for my TWO classes- with a 10% discount on used books, only 2 new books (7% discount on those), and already owning 3 books, I STILL spent $130+. OUCH!!! The worst part is, I'll get maybe $10 at best if I go to sell them back. Publishing houses must really be rich. Guess it's not the worst industry to go into after all!

Also, it's freezing in the apartment. Makes me want to curl up in bed to do my assigned reading for the night...

No comments:

Post a Comment