Tuesday, January 12, 2010

amazing poem...

While researching for my next (I hope) tattoo, I found this stunning poem by e.e. cummings-



may my heart always be open to little
birds who are the secrets of living
whatever they sing is better than to know
and if men should not hear them men are old

may my mind stroll about hungry
and fearless and thirsty and supple
and even if it’s sunday may i be wrong
for whenever men are right they are not young

and may myself do nothing usefully
and love yourself so more than truly
there’s never been quite such a fool who could fail
pulling all the sky over him with one smile
- may my heart always be open to little by e.e. cummings.

ETA- also stumbled across an old favorite-

“I must learn to love the fool in me – the one who feels too much, talks to much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laught and cries. It alone protects me against that utterly self-controlled masterful tyrant whom I also harbor and who would rob me of human aliveness, humility, and dignity but for my fool.”


- From Love me, love my fool: Thoughts from a psychoanalyst’s notebook by Theodore Isaac Rubin

No comments:

Post a Comment